What Jobs Can I Get with CompTIA PenTest+ Certification?
CompTIA PenTest+ is the industry standard for validating that cybersecurity professionals can perform tasks on systems through penetration testing and vulnerability assessment and management. CompTIA PenTest+ is compliant with ISO 17024 standards.
The new CompTIA PenTest+ certification covers the penetration tester job role, in addition to the following job roles:
- Vulnerability tester
- Security analyst (II)
- Vulnerability assessment analyst
- Network security operations
- Application security vulnerability
Furthermore, companies like ASICS Corp., Las Vegas Sands Corp., Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory and Brotherhood Mutual all look for CompTIA PenTest+ certification in hiring.
Certification makes a great first impression. According to an IDC report, 96 percent of HR managers use IT certifications as screening or hiring criteria during recruitment.* Learn more about all the places you career can go with CompTIA certifications.
What Is a Pen Tester?
A pen tester's responsibilities include:
- Applying appropriate tools for penetration testing
- Performing social engineering tests and reviewing physical security where appropriate
- Keeping up-to-date with latest testing and hacking methods
- Collecting data and deploying testing methodology
- Locating, assessing and managing vulnerabilities
- Making suggestions for security improvements and preparing technical responses to security questions
A penetration tester, or pen tester, is considered a white hat or good hacker. Although they must think like a bad guy, the end goal is to help organizations improve their security practices to prevent theft and damage. Pen testers target traditional operating systems and devices as well as emerging technology, including Internet of Things (IoT) devices, mobile devices, embedded systems and more. Read more about how to gain penetration testing skills here.
Ready for a Career in Penetration Testing?
CompTIA now offers a number of exam training options for CompTIA PenTest+ to fit your particular learning style and schedule, many of which may be used in combination with each other as you prepare for your exam.
There’s a wealth of information to take you from deciding if CompTIA PenTest+ is right for you, all the way to taking your exam. We’re with you every step of the way!