What is CompTIA CASP+ Certification?
The CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP+) certification is a certification for technical professionals who wish to remain immersed in technology, as opposed to strictly managing.
CASP+ validates advanced-level competency in the following areas:
- Risk management, enterprise security operations and architecture
- Research and collaboration
- Integration of enterprise security
CASP+ is the only hands-on, performance-based certification for practitioners—not managers—at an advanced skill level of cybersecurity. The difference is that while cybersecurity managers help identify what policies and frameworks could be implemented, CASP+-certified professionals figure out how to get the job done.
What Job Roles Should Take the Exam?
CASP+ is for IT cybersecurity professionals with a minimum of 10 years of experience in IT administration, including at least 5 years of hands-on technical security experience. CASP+ prepares candidates for the following job roles:
- Security architect
- Security engineer
- Technical lead analyst
- Application security engineer
How Much Can I Make with CASP+ Certification?
Here are a few CASP+ jobs and their average salaries:
- Security architect $144,468
- Application security engineer $100,500
What Is on the Exam?
Skills covered in CASP+ address current risks and incident response scenarios inherent with cyber warfare, modern hacking techniques and cloud migration. CASP+ covers the technical knowledge and skills required to conceptualize, engineer, integrate and implement secure solutions across complex environments to support a resilient enterprise. Successful candidates will have the skills to do the following:
- Support IT governance in the enterprise with an emphasis on managing risk
- Leverage collaboration tools and technology to support enterprise security
- Use research and analysis to secure the enterprise
- Integrate advanced authentication and authorization techniques
- Implement cryptographic techniques
- Implement security controls for hosts
- Implement security controls for mobile devices
- Implement network security
- Implement security in the systems and software development lifecycle
- Integrate hosts, storage, networks, applications, virtual environments and cloud technologies in a secure enterprise architecture
- Conduct security assessments
- Respond to and recover from security incidents
The CASP+ exam covers the following domains and topics:
- Risk Management: Summarize business and industry influences and associated security risks
- Technical Integration of Enterprise Security: Integrate cloud and virtualization technologies into a secure enterprise architecture
- Enterprise Security Architecture: Analyze a scenario and integrate network and security components, concepts and architectures to meet security requirements
- Research, Development and Collaboration: Given a scenario, apply research methods to determine industry trends and their impact to the enterprise
- Enterprise Security Operations: Analyze a scenario or output, and select the appropriate tool for a security assessment
Click here to review the detailed exam objectives
Who is CompTIA?
CompTIA (The Computing Technology Industry Association) is the leading provider of vendor-neutral IT certifications in the world. With more than 2 million IT certifications issued worldwide, CompTIA is dedicated to helping IT professionals lead the charge in our digitally-connected world.
For more than 20 years, CompTIA has developed training and certification exams for computing support, networking, security, open-source (Linux) development, cloud and mobility. Our regular review and updates of exams ensure that CompTIA certifications continue to address the needs of today’s technology challenges.
Ready to Advance Your Skill Level in Cybersecurity?
CompTIA now offers a number of exam training options for CASP+ to fit your particular learning style and schedule, many of which may be used in combination with each other as you prepare for your exam.
There’s a wealth of information to take you from deciding if CompTIA CASP+ is right for you, all the way to taking your exam. We’re with you every step of the way!